Monday, August 1, 2011

Today's Tid Bit... Motives

Today, right off the bat, I would like to start with a word of prayer to maybe, just maybe, help us understand what God is trying to tell us today.

Father God, I just pray that you would help us understand what you are trying to tell us through this next passage. Help us understand what the right motives are, and how much that matters to you. God, I just pray that you would open our hearts and our minds so that we might become a better, more obedient child in your family.

"Declare me innocent, O Lord, for I have acted with integrity; I have trusted in the Lord without wavering. Put me on trial, Lord, and cross-examine me. Test my motives and my heart. For I am always aware of your unfailing love, and I have lived according to your truth. I do not spend time with liars or go along with hypocrites. I hate the gatherings of those who do evil, and I refuse to join in with the wicked. I wash my hands to declare my innocence. I come to your altar, O Lord, singing a song of thanksgiving and telling of all your wonders. I love your sanctuary, Lord, the place where your glorious presence dwells. Don't let me suffer the fate of sinners. Don't condemn me along with murderers. Their hands are dirty with evil schemes, and they constantly take bribes. But I am not like that; I live with integrity. So redeem me and show me mercy. Now I stand on solid ground, and I will publicly praise the Lord." Psalm 26

My first thought when I read this was,"Wow, David sure had some guts to tell God to put him on trial and test his motives!" I mean think about it. David was asking the God of all creation, our God that will judge us and has the power to do absolutely anything, not to mention that God knows all of our thoughts, actions, and motives behind them. I don't know about you, but I would definitely be scared of some of the things God would bring up in the court room.
Motives are one of the most important things as Christians, because God says that He knows our thoughts even before we think them. He knows why we are doing what we are doing. So, no matter how many poor we feed, kids we teach, people we clothe, and sermons we preach- if we don't do them with the right motives.... it doesn't matter. It was done, not for the glory of God, but for what ever other reason we may have at the time. I Corinthians 10:31 says, “So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God” (ESV).

So next time that we do anything, let us think about why we are doing it. Is it for the glory and honor of God? Can we be bold, like David, and say to the Lord, "Test my motives and my heart"?Are we standing on solid ground, or are we in the sinking sand. All He asks is that everything we do, glorify Him. What are our motives today?


No comments:

Post a Comment